Replacing Magic

 
event

And no, I do not have the intention to bench Earvin Jonhson, or play another trading card game (not that I ever did).
I am talking about replacing my now defunct Magic Mouse.

How it Came to Be

Some years ago we had the “need” for a “All-In-One” computer. That was going to be our main mean of doing all-things-digital and had to be placed in the living room to share the space whenever someone was at the computer. That meant that looks were important and lead us to cough some extra dough and purchase a nice-looking Unibody iMac.

It is a gorgeous piece of hardware and we have been very happy with it and it’s aging very, very well.
Well, that is not all true. There was this thing. This Magic Mouse that never convinced us.

Tension

Before purchasing the iMac, I was in love with the Magic Mouse. It looked great and I was intrigued by its multi-touch capabilities. I even thought about buying it and use it with my laptop while at home (I when for the more sensibly priced Microsoft BT-5000 and I have never regretted), but price and Windows drivers kept me from buying it.

When I used it in the iMac it never won me. Maybe I was unlucky and got a defective unit, but never bothered to change it. It got a top score in looks but failed miserably in every other aspect:

  • Ergonomics: too flat to feel comfortable. Luckily I never had to do long streaks of work with it, but I could feel tired after some time using it.
  • Battery Life: it is a freaking battery sucker. We thought of buying an adapter for rechargeable batteries, but the mouse died before anyone could gave it to me as a present.
  • Accuracy: This was what got the worst of me. Sometimes, it would scroll by his own will and I cannot tell you how annoying is that when you are using Google Maps or browsing pictures. Throwing-the-freaking-piece-of-s#@t-against-a-wall annoying.

On top of that I never took full advantage of gestures or multi-touch for that matter. I am not a mouse guy. Most of the extra buttons that come in mice I use are rarely used (or not at all)

So when it died, I felt kind of relieved.

No as Easy as It Sounds

Replacing it has not been easy. I had three apparently simple requirements:

Bluetooth technology. No dongles or cables.

Full-sized. Forget about travel mice. We have big hands at home and we want to use them

Decently looking. The Magic Mouse looked classy and matched the iMac. I do want a mouse that looks like a Transformer

It surprises me why Bluetooth has not really succeeded in many fields. Specially mice.
Most computers and post-PC-era devices come with the technology and it is the easiest way of not using one of those precious, always-diminishing-in-number USB ports. But for every BT mouse, there are 7 proprietary wireless ones.

And for those few that exist, vast majority of them are small, travel mice. And it is damn hard to find sizes in specifications! Or get size advertised.

And if you are lucky, it surely looks awful. Either coming from a spaceship or looking flimsy and creaky.

Except you

After some non-trivial browsing time and almost falling for the über-expensive Logitech Wireless Desktop combo (and have the keyboard discarded), I found full-sized, decent-looking, Bluetooth mouse: the barely advertised HP X7500 wireless mouse.

I could not find any user review, and surprisingly few hits on Google. But I felt immediately for its looks and its size. It is not cheap, but I ordered nonetheless. And I cannot be happier.

It matches the black-and-white theme for the area and I have not had a ghost scroll ever since.

newMouse

If you are looking for full sized Bluetooth mouse, I totally recommend it

share class