Dev Teach. Key Take-aways

 
event

It's been a long (and maybe boring I can give you that) series of entries on the matter. I wanted it to be like this. Writing helps me fixing the concepts and if reading it amuses anyone else besides me, that's a double target hit.

It's time to wrap-up and I'll try to do it briefly (and by now you should be aware that I am not very good at it):

The experience as a whole has been great. Sure there have been set-backs, but the overall impression I am left with is very, very positive. There was not a better place on Earth to be during that week if you are interested on the subjects of the conference.

The raw talent and quality of the speakers was amazing. I have to say something in favor of them as a long part of this series has been criticizing their work: Being a good speaker is one of the most difficult tasks in this business. You can get better at it, but I strongly believe that either you have the talent or you don't. Being a good speaker is a rare skill that it's sometimes under-rated. I ought not to be.

Overall, organization has been good: painless registration, nice venue (I really liked the catering) and an awesome collection of very talented and committed fellows.

I have not attended some other conferences, this size or any other (just some one-day or afternoon gigs) but I liked the degree of interaction you could have with the "smart guys".

It's a challenging tasks for the organizers to offer a valuable briefing of what will happen. Tweaking the description and the level of difficulty it's not an easy task. It's also hard for the attendants to come up with an schedule of the sessions they are going to attend,  but having all the material in advance is something that might help.

 

So...

Should anyone attend to a conference like DevTeach? Absolutely yes. It can become a point of inflexion in your career if you really want to get what the conference can offer.

Are you going to be a better professional after it? Absolutely not. You are going to be left with a feeling of being crap. Far too behind the technology pulse and far less smart than the most of the people in the conference. Is that a bad thing then? Not really, it's more likely that it will motivate you in a positive way, as I have the feeling that you are not sent to a conference of this kind if you are not willing to go. So, in the end, you may be slightly better professional after all :-)

Would I attend again? Positive, Sir. If I am given the chance.